HUC is the leading institution of the Israeli Reform movement and Debbie is Orthodox, so she felt this was a special honor.
The certificate she received said the following:
"In the name of the Faculty and the Board of Governors of the Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion, we hereby confer the degree of Doctor of Humane Letters, honoris causa, on Dr. Deborah Weissman:
- Innovative educator, sociologist and pioneer of orthodox feminism
- Whose teaching and writing have shed new light and brought new understanding to the social history of Jewish women’s education
- Who has taught at and led prestigious institutions impacting Jewish Education in Israel and in the Diaspora
- Whose commitment to dialogue between people of faith has inspired students and colleagues for decades
- And who as the former president of the International Council of Christians and Jews became the first Jewish woman to occupy this important role"
Congratulations, Debbie - mazal tov!